4.2.12

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo


Despite being an avid bookworm, my mother isn't the easiest person to please when it comes to books and I have often told her that I've never met anyone as cynical as her. That's why, when she thrust her copy of Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in my hands instructing me to read it ASAP, I knew it must be good. Of course, everyone else in the whole world seemed to think the same thing and I had several other books to read last year before I could get around to this one. I took so long (have I mentioned I'm an incredibly slow reader?) that I got instructed to lend the copy to my sister. Almost a year later, I can now finally exclaim that I have read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

The book tells the story of Mikael Blomkvist, a disgraced journalist hired by an elderly business man to investigate the disappearance of his great-niece Harriet from over forty years ago. Blomkvist then ropes in the help of one exceptionally strange individual by the name of Lisbeth Salander. While the investigation into Harriet's disappearance is interesting, the star is without a doubt, Salander and I thought it was a shame that she wasn't focused on as much as Mikael.

If it wasn't for the atrociously slow start to the book (200 freakin pages before anything interesting happened!), I would gladly assign 5 shining stars. However, 200 pages is a helluva lot to wade through but I still give this book a respectable 4/5.

Be warned though, there are some seriously brutal sex scenes that explain why the original Swedish title is Men Who Hate Women.

No comments:

Post a Comment